Re: [tlug] crashing mail

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:41:40 +0900
Ulrich Plate <plate@example.com> wrote:

> But hardly anyone besides Sajjad uses ASCII-armored PGP, everybody else
> is using PGP/MIME. To be fair: "Outlook" should be perfectly able to
> deal with it, it's "Outlook Express" that stinks.

It's amazing to me that an MUA would crash on *anything* that appears in the body of a simple mail message.

This brings to mind a question that's been lurking in my mind:
What *good* and safe MUAs exist for Windows?
I really want one that cannot execute an attachment or display HTML.  (I'd like all attachments listed though, much like Sylpheed in Linux does it, since we often get attached resumes and stuff that we need.)
It needs to work with Japanese.
A while back, I looked for a very old version of Eudora, but couldn't find one that ignored HTML.
I tried Sylpheed-Claws for Windows, but that kept crashing.
Popcorn was good, but couldn't handle attachments...

We have a few users in the office that need to check "high-risk" mail accounts. (In effect, very public addresses that appear on the website that get tons of viruses and other crap.)  They need to use Windows since we have some proprietary apps that they also run, so now I have them log in using VNC to a linux bux and run Sylpheed, but its a bit far from elegant.

Any good suggestions?

Jim O'Connell
Global Dining System Support
jim at global-dining dot co dot jp