[tlug] /etc/host setup

G'day all,

I need some advice (again) on setting up my /etc/host file.

I like my (RH7.3) system to call itself by a suitable name. My ISP
assigns it a name like "CPE-12-34-56-78", which is not exactly lovable,
so in /etc/host I have something like:

	127.0.0.1               frodo

As a result, my X login, xterms, etc. are all identified as "frodo".
This is what I like.

HOWEVER, tin won't let me post any messages, as it requires a valid,
fully-qualified host-name (other than localhost.localdomain). I can fool it
by changing it to frodo.foobar.com, but if I try and start up Linux that way
all sorts of services fall over because they can't resolve
frodo.foobar.com.

Any thoughts on how I can get around this?

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298