Re: [tlug] UTF-8 for single-byte character sets

Godwin Stewart wrote:

> Your opinions?

You do not want to hear this, least of all from a fellow Sylpheed user:
My opinion is that if Mr. Good-Day doesn't grace us with Gtk2-based
Unicode-compatibility Real Soon Now, I'm going to defect to KMail or
worse. As long as he claims that Gtk2 is too buggy to be considered for
rendering text in Sylpheed, we'll never get the current inability to
display both Japanese and European languages in the same message solved,
something I personally perceive as a significant problem. At first I
thought it was my fault, but after the Sylpheed-user mailing list
confirmed what I'd found, I'm reduced to hoping this'll get solved ASAP.

Remember the discussion we had when Jonathan triggered the GnuPG craze
her on the list? The general take on things back then was: "I don't
downgrade my MUA just because yours can't read what I'm sending", and at
the time everybody seemed to hop along and agree with that statement,
some more, some less. Unicode isn't all that different. If I receive an
email with German and Japanese or French and Japanese mixed in one
message body, I want to be able to display it, quote it when replying,
in whatever language is required. I can't do that in Sylpheed, I'm
afraid, which is why my mail folders are a real mess because I forget to
synchronise the outboxes of my mail clients, and essentially also why
I'm feeling more and more drawn towards Mutt, KMail (which in its latest
version finally has the whole GPG key thing assimilated to the extent of
being the sharpest kid on the block) or even Outlook as clients...

But still, you're right: I don't think there's much to be said in favour
of a single language being coded in Unicode. That's like showing off the
new toys they just got for Christmas.

Cheers
Ulrich Plate

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key CF7D6206
Fingerprint CDD6 3225 3489 1305 D4D6 1CCF 50E8 6505 CF7D 6206