[tlug] Ugly OpenOffice Menu font

I recently installed OpenOffice 1.0.1 and while everything went OK and I
get lots of pretty fonts for documents, the font it uses for the OO menus
themselves is *UGLY*.  Monospaced and not even nice-looking.  It's bad
enough to be embarrassing.  Googling around hasn't given me anything to go
on.  I downloaded the whole source tarball with the thought to build it
from source, but that doesn't seem quite as simple as ./configure;make;make
install, to say the least.  Anybody else
see this behavior?  The platform is RH 7.3, kept uptodate.

TIA,

Jonathan