Re: [tlug] UPS

On Friday 03 January 2003 13:46, lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering a UPS for my home system (FreeBSD), and was wondering if
> anyone has any hardware/software recommendations. I've looked around a few
> places in Akihabara, etc., but when I ask about the software, they ask me
> what OS I'm running. Then of course when I tell them FreeBSD, I get that
> blank look that we've all come to know and love.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Shawn

We use APC's UPS at work. They ship with "PowerChute" software, or some
such BS, but we don't use that. They work pretty well until, well, they don't.
Ours have been with us forever, so we're pretty happy if they survive a good
15-20 minutes (usually about the time an unscheduled outage takes to right
itself). That, and the replacement batteries are only about $125 or so...
That's about Y15,000. We've yet to change out a battery (we looked into it),
but we have had one go under (and since we're ghetto, we just whistled
innocently and left the dead UPS sitting there with the still-working ones,
letting all the lusers think that all their porn was safe... bwahaha)

-Christian