Re: [tlug] Folding at Home borkage?

Robert Gordon wrote:
> On 01/01/2003 17:37:47, Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote:
>>Anybody else get this?  Anybody know if it uses any non-standard ports
>>that I may need to open?
> If anyone manages to find out what is going on exactly, let me know!

Hm.  Concurrence on the .exe bit.  After download and execute, it seemed
to be working fine on my RH8.0 box.

 From browsing their site and FAQ, it seems like the particular machine
from which you're attempting to download the work package is probably
really busy --  from the transaction log of Jonathan:
[17:33:33] + Attempting to get work packet
[17:33:33] - Connecting to assignment server
[17:33:34] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.109).
[17:33:35] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[17:33:35] + Could not connect to Work Server
[17:33:35] - Error: Getwork #2 failed, and no other work to do. Waiting
before retry

The software was able to connect to the "assignment server" (I assume a
master server that handles who has what work package, and which package
needs work next).  Then attempt to connect to 171.64.122.109 failed, for
whatever reason (busy, down, etc.).

I'd recommend starting the client again, watching for these messages,
then wandering by:
http://folding.stanford.edu/serverstat.html
and check how "loaded" it is under the "NET LOAD" column.

Share and enjoy.

Larry