Re: [tlug] Asian spam - was: CPU cycles and packet filtering

On 26/12/2002 at 16:57 Godwin Stewart wrote:

>I'd rather adopt a solution which wastes less CPU time on my box, so
>instead
>of teaching the pig to sing I'm simply blocking connections from the pig's
>relays at the IP level. It's far more effective than being polite!

This is a good method, however, it requires constant updating. In one year of IP blocking I have amassed 1276 IP addresses of repeat spam origins. For the unlikely case of a legitimate e-mail each blocked message receives an auto-response with my fax number. This is the filter-flow on a combination of FreeBSD and Windows 2000:

1. Internet v-server FreeBSD: IP-blocking
2. SpamPal (internal Win 2K server)
3. SOPHOS Antivirus (internal Win 2K server)
4. Internal mail-sverver VPOP3: download rules/bayesian database (internal Win 2K server)

This has reduced Spam from about 30 a day to 1 a day. Legitimate mails are stopped at the rate of 1 per month.

Happy New Year!

Thomas