Re: [tlug] TLUG RC5

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 19:23, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> I'm not sure what's worthwhile in the distributed computing field.

I've been participating in folding@example.com (http://folding.stanford.edu/)
for a while:

"Folding@example.com is a distributed computing project which studies protein
folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel
computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate
timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously acheived.
This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now
direct our approach to examine folding related disease."

I'm currently teamless so if someone wanted to start a TLUG team I'd
be game. Unfortunately the Linux client is console-only (the Windows
client has a cool screensaver that renders the protein being simulated).
But it is definitely a good cause and cool science.

Ryan