Re: [tlug] Pasokon Koubou

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> >Is that the one with the Via RhineII chipset on it? This is what I have. And it's
> >a load of crap.
>
> There was a bug in the Via Rhine driver in (IIRC) 2.4.16, which was
> fixed in 2.4.17.  It made my Corega with a Via Rhine work great.

I was using 2.4.17-pre7-ac2 and that still kept giving the transfer timeouts.
Probably it was fixed next day in pre8 after I compiled my kernel ;)

> Do bear in mind that in Ethernet cards you do get what you pay
> for.  A quality card like an Intel EEPro or 3Com 3c509 will
> outperform the cheap cards buy a good bit.

Both my sony and dell notebooks have built in eepro and they work just flawlessly.
The via-rhineII gave me a lesson to pay 2 thousand yen more for a NIC next time.

> How many machines are on that network?  Collisions on a small
> LAN should be pretty rare, and shouldn't be caused by the card
> (YMMV for a broken driver), since they are a result of two
> hosts transmitting at the same time.  When that happens, they
> both (should) back off and retransmit at some random interval.

It's my el-cheapo home network with 3 machines + the adsl modem on it. The hub is a
10M corega, it's collision LED starts flashing quite heavily on higher load. Is there
any way to detect where/what is doing the nastiness without expensive LAN testing
hardware?
It does the job though, so I'm not that much worried about it.