Re: [tlug] Panasonic CF-27 PCMCIA problems

Robert Gordon wrote:
> On 18/12/2002 09:29:12, ccd <ccd@example.com> wrote:
>

>>But it works, eh? ;) Hmm. Exploits. Looks like it's time to go get the
>>newest unstable kernel.
>>
>>Yup. He slapped me, I switched to 2.4.5, and wow, no more PCMCIA
>>problems on my Toughbook.
>>

> Well, what do you recommend? Should I go back to 2.4.5, or somthing else?

Christian recommended the 2.4.x series.

Jonathan says don't go with the older 2.4.x kernel (which you have right
now, presumably, they came with your distro... same ship I'm in), and
stay away from 2.5.

Botand likes 2.4.21-pre-1, patched with nifty stuffs.

But the gist of all of this is, if the laptop is doing something
not-laptop-y, the 2.4 series isn't the wisest of options, due to
stability/security concerns (i.e. any type of server work). But,
remember, a kernel change is never permanent until you delete the old
source. If you try something from 2.4 and it does baaaad things with
your box, you can always just happily pop over to the 2.2.x source and
"make install" and be happy(ish) again.

So: if you can live without the laptop long enough to reconfigure, just
try and find something that works. If this laptop is something
uber-important... then you got brass cajones. Linux on laptops is a
notorious thing. But it's fun!

-Christian