Re: [tlug] Pasokon Koubou

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:17:54PM +0900, Eric O. Flores wrote:

> my advice to you is to build you system from scratch.

Strongly seconded.  It's not only a good education, but it ensures
you are getting a PC made of standard parts that are easily upgradeable
at any time.

If you want recommendations, I'm sure TLUGgers would be happy to
recommend some of their favorite parts, as well as some of the
ones to steer clear of.

I'll throw in my two cents' worth anyway :-)

Consulting the HCL is generally not necessary these days unless
you are buying a CF reader or other card reader (see the recent thread
on TLUG for a good one that works great under Linux; many/most don't)
ora really bleeding edge video card (may not be supported by XFree86
yet).

On video cards, my recommendation is a Matrox G450 or G550 unless you
are a serious gamer (but if you are, then you're probably not running
Linux).  Their 3-D accel doesn't match what you get out of the
Nvidia chips and such, but their 2-D is still the best in the business,
and 2-D is usually the most important thing for Linux people.

Check out Tom's Hardware for good mobo reviews.  I like MSI, Asus,
and GigaByte boards pretty well.  Rioworks are also pretty nice.
I recently built a box with a GigaByte PE667 Ultra (onboard
Intel 10/100, onboard Promise RAID (0 and 1), onboard 6-channel
AC-97 sound.  Jumperless board, of course).  That's for a P-IV.
There are a number of good Athlon boards with similiar equipment
if you want to go AMD.  A dual-Athlon setup is alway nice.

Plextor CD burners are top-notch, and if you want a SCSI board,
Adaptec is the only name you need to know.

Get a good case, and bigger is better b/c of the better airflow you
get in a large case where the components aren't all obstructed by
cables.

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF