Re: [tlug] Panasonic CF-27 PCMCIA problems

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 06:29:12PM +0900, ccd wrote:

>Yup. He slapped me, I switched to 2.4.5, and wow, no more PCMCIA
>problems on my Toughbook.

I'd slap him back for recommending a kernel so far out-of-date.
Updating your kernel to fix the PCMCIA problem is one thing.
Howerver, it should be noted that the 2.2 series is still widely
regarded as more stable than the 2.4 series, so a slap for
using it is certainly unjustified.  Many people have refused to
move to 2.4 on their mission-critical systems because of the
great stability of a mature 2.2 kernel and the lack of same in the
2.4 tree, although recent 2.3 kernels). If you need the latest hardware
support 2.4 may well be justified for a workstation, of course, but
it's hard to imagine a "guru" recommending 2.4.5 :-P

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF