Re: OT: English (was: Re: [tlug] [REMINDER] "Defending the Creative Commons")

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:34:49AM -0500, Josh Glover wrote:
> Quoth Brett Robson (Fri 2002-12-13 12:15:16AM -0800):
> >
> > Do you really think that people now are more expressive than 100 years
> > ago?
>
> No, but Matt's point is that people are expressive in very different ways
> than they were 100 years ago. All languages evolve, and very quickly, at
> that.

Not to beat a dead horse to pulp, Josh's interpretation of what I said is
on the mark.  It isn't that people are more expressive than their counterparts
from ages gone by.  Rather, people are better able to express their thoughts
about the world we live in today than someone armed only with the words used
100 years ago.  The main reason is that language "evolution" is just
adjustments to better deal with the world as it changes.  It isn't really
better or worse it is just different and generally better adapted for this
day and age.

--Matt