OT: English (was: Re: [tlug] [REMINDER] "Defending the Creative Commons")

Quoth dboudrea@example.com (Thu 2002-12-12 11:46:59PM -0500):

> English has so many silly rules.

Indeed.

> Winston Churchill spoke about another stupid rule like this, about the rule
> that says you can't end a sentence with a preposition, and he replied
> something like "That is the kind of English up with which I will not put."

No, he didn't say something like that, we said exactly that. What an amazing
man!

> I ask you, is the speaker for English, or is English for the speaker?

Shakespeare would claim the latter, and the language is much richer for
his "mis-uses" of it. Read Harold Bloom's _Shakespeare: The Invention of the
Human_ for a very interesting theory on just how much modern English owes
The Bard.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967