Re: [tlug] [REMINDER] "Defending the Creative Commons"

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:48:48 -0800
"Brett Robson" <Brett.Robson@example.com> wrote:

> I understand my girlfriend when she confuses 'a' and 'the', and gets countable nouns completely screwed (she has many money),
Good reason to overlook little mistakes like that. ;-)

I tend to hate the verb "Architect" too, but could see where it sometimes becomes a necessary distinction from "design", which has too often come to mean "to decorate", especially with things like websites.  (It's not completely unlikely, at least until the end of the dot com boom, that a "Network Designer" might be concerned with picking colors for cables and buying servers with blue LEDs...)
(Of course, I've never heard a real tech-type say that they were "Archetecting" something, so there goes that theory.  I guess it really just must be a bit of self-aggrandizement by the people in the nice suits and ties.)

So, it makes me wonder what Architects say that that they do all day. Architecting? (probably never.) Designing?
(Strange that such a similar word, "Engineer" has no such syntactic hangups.)

> > replied something like
> > "That is the kind of English up with which I will not put."
>
> I don't agree with that rule but he could have said "That is the kind of English I will endure."

But then nobody would have remembered that he said it. :-)
In a similar vein is a quote that's favorite of mine:
	 "I-before-E" rules are weird and unscientific.

Better run, I've got some programmering to do.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim O'Connell
Global Dining System Support
jim at global-dining dot co dot jp
Key fingerprint = 8EE8 44E0 320A 4718 C76B  AD5F 91EB B996 EB45 F83B
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB45F83B