Re: [tlug] Lessig Speech--Linux advocacy

Well, you don't want to force people to Linux (and you can't). But you
should stress that there is a choice. His talk will most likely touch
upon the importance of open code, and the dangers of MS monopoly. So,
have a laptop or something that shows the alternative.

We probably don't want to be bogged down by "where do I even begin" or "what's
an Ethernet" type of super newbie questions. So show them some basic
Linux textbook (Running Linux or whatever). Tell them to go to any
bookstore and browse the computer section for these books, and choose
what they want. If they eventually find their way to TLUG (or any place
else), fine.

Also, I suggest burning this 30 or 40 of this Knoppix Linux CD and give
them away at the lecture.
http://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/

This doesn't need any installation, just pop it in the CD Drive and
reboot, and you'll have a fully running Linux Machine, with mozilla and
OpenOffice and Japanese environment, without tampering with the Windows
environment. I think it's the best way for people to try out, and giving
people a concrete alternative for MS monopoly and a working example of
Open code would nicely compliment the speech.

Too bad I can't be there.

Best,

--
Yamagata <hiyori13@example.com>