Re: [tlug] Repotec print server & Linux

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:08:34PM -0500, Josh Glover wrote:

> Quoth Jonathan Byrne (Mon 2002-12-02 02:27:12PM +0700):
> >
> > Configuring lpd (lprng) to use any common queue name such as
> > lpd, lpr, lp, results in a "printer not found" message from the print
> > server. I'm definitely connecting to it but that's as far as it goes.
> >
> > Googling has been fruitless, and I've never had a printserver do
> > this to me before.  Any ideas?
>
> The solution, of course, is to use CUPS. Set that bitch up in JetDirect
> mode, and I bet you sen yen it prints.

Or possibly LPD mode--FWIW, I have a little page of stupid cups errors
at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/cups.html  If you do it in
JetDirect mode be sure to change ServerName in /cups/client.conf.  I've
found success, with both JetDirect and LPD by just putting in the IP
addie for the Server name.

Also, I think you said you'd thrown RH 8.0 on something--if that's the
box in question, you can do redhat-switch-print (or possibly
printers--hit the tab key). If you don't, then you'll wind up with other
problems as lp and lpr will try to work with Lprng.  (Not sure if that
command is in earlier versions of RH--when did they start throwing Cups
on their distro?)

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Cordelia: I came over here to tell Buffy to stop this
craziness, and
found you all unconscious--again. How many times have you been
knocked out, anyway? I swear, one of these times, you're going
to wake up in a coma.
Giles: Wake up in a...? Oh, never mind. We need to save Buffy from
Hansel and Gretel.
Cordelia: Now, let's be clear. The brain damage happened before I hit
you.