Re: [tlug] Recommended keitai or PDA?

>>Who uses a PDA (something like a Palm Pilot) all of the time and really feels
>>they need it?  I'm trying to determine whether or not it would be worth it to
>>purchase one or not.  There are many times when I don't feel it's worth it to
>>boot up my pc but I think I've been getting along ok with my "analog" PDA method
>>(a small notepad and pen to write things down).  For those that use their PDAs
>>to schedule tasks and for calendaring, does it really save you time, what are
>>your thoughts?  What are the best things about them, best features etc?
>

> I recently thought up a number of excuses and got an iPaq (which is now
> running Linux). To be honest, whatever Im using it for could be done
> equally well on the desktop and its not something I really need, but it
> helps and is cool to have.
>
> The 2 things I find it very useful for are the calendaring and task
> scheduling you mentioned. This may get better once it has a wireless
> internet connection.  I also dont need to carry a bag around all the
> time just for my laptop.

I agree.  And I normally input from PC and use PDA only as a viewer.  I
have used Dataslim, which unfortunately doesn't work with anything but
WIndows.  iPod has such features and is a lot sexier.

kdeedu?  edict?  www.rikai.com?

>>I have similar questions about getting a keitai.  These days, aren't keitais
>>becomming more "PDA-like" in their feature set?  It'd be cool to have a handheld
>>device that could do email, maybe surf the web, find out a train schedule, and
>>just for kicks do voice as well, hopefully without giving me cancer (but with
>>all the other keitais that will be around me in the Tokyo area maybe that would
>>happen anyways).
>

> Current keitai's do have more features than anyone needs, but the one
> thing I find really irritating about them is the input method. Why press
> 3 buttons per character when 1 stylus tap will do?

For me, calling (and searching numbers) is the only function I used with
my phone.  Ah, and knowing time and alarm.  (I've thrown away my watch)

--
BABA Yoshihiko