Re: [tlug] Digital Camera Choices: Canon IXY 320 ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim O'Connell" <oconnell@example.com>

> The thing is, I rarely ever print out a picture - everything I shoot
> goes straight to the web or email.

I never did either, but my wife likes to print a few of the best ones and frame them.  The cost of an 8 x 10 glossy made at home sure beats going to a photo lab to do it.

> Have you seen that 'Gallery' program? (gallery.sourceforge.net , IIRC)

Yes, Gallery is outstanding.  I set it up at my last job in Japan for keeping photos of our remote facilities so that we could always see what was where without maintaining Visio (or Kivio) charts.  Just bring a digital camera along on POP visits.  I recommended it for use by TLUG and our webmaster said he would take a look at it.  Gallery's ability to create users with non-administrative access would make it a natural for allowing various people to post meeting and nomikai pics.  I can't recommend Gallery highly enough - it's the best.

> Probably worth the investment - the lenses are the real value. The
> thing about Nikon is that the lenses rarely, if ever, become obsolete.

Very true, and you get the flexibility of being able to change lenses and shoot through truly great lenses, digitally.  About the only thing that film has over digital (unless you go up to medium or large format cameras) is the ability to change the look significantly by changing films.  A digital camera has whatever color characteristics it has, and that's it.  Of course,  one could emulate different color saturations in firmware, but no consumer-grade digital cameras do that AFAIK.  Don't know if the multi-thousand dollar ones do it or not.

Jonathan