Re: [tlug] Japanese in Evolution 1.2

Stuart Luppescu <s-luppescu@example.com> wrote:

> > > you might need to check your gtkhtml font settings.  they are set in
> > > >
> > > the control centre.
> >
> > I had a feeling it was something like this. I'll try it when I go home
> > tonight.
>
> Wish it was that simple.

During my first eight months on Linux I used Evolution as my main mailer (I
use Emacs/Mew now) and I had problems with East Asian fonts every time they
did even the smallest upgrade. Every time I wrote to them, they gave me the
same answer ("check your gtkhtml font settings") and insisted that there was
no problem with Ximian. I had to get their support people to try Mozilla
mail, and open up various Chinese, Japanese, and Korean encoded mail before
I could convince them it was a problem. That support event is still listed
in their bug database as unresolved.

I know that this doesn't solve anyone's problems, but my feeling is that the
Ximian people really don't understand font/encoding issues as well as some
other applications developers. This is too bad, because in many ways
Evolution is an admirable piece of work.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@example.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary [http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787