Re: [tlug] CJKV

>> From: Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>
>>
>>  I wonder why O'Reilly uses Shit-JIS on their webpages...

My guess is that O'Reilly's Japanese office does like 95% of Japanese
web-builders, and uses Shit_JIS without a moment's second thought.

>> Jim Breen will
>> be pissed when he hears about this! ;)

Tsk, tsk. You haven't read what I wrote:

"Fortunately, WWW pages are in better shape than mail and news. You are
free to code Japanese in WWW pages in EUC, Shift-JIS or ISO-2022-JP; just
don't mix them in the page."
See: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/coding_inf.html

What *is* annoying (and sloppy) about that page is that it doesn't
announce its coding, either in a MIME header or in the <META HTTP-EQUIV...>
Again, this is default (in)action for most Japanese pages.

BTW, in my version of English "to be pissed" means to be very drunk. Is
O'Reilly paying for the drinks?

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298