Re: [tlug] Japanese in Evolution 1.2

On 20 Nov 2002 21:57:08 +0900
Ryan Shaw <ryan.shaw@example.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 23:59, Stuart Luppescu wrote:

> > > I'm having the same problem on my Gentoo box. Even
> > > worse, I finally got sick of it and re-emerged 1.0.8...
> > > and now *it* doesn't show Japanese either! Same exact
> > > symptoms you describe.
> >
> > This makes me think it's the fault of one of the upgraded packages
> > evolution depends on, such as gtkhtml or gal or something.
>
> Could be, though I reverted those back as well. I don't have
> time to debug it right now so I'm kind of hoping for a portage
> update to magically fix it someday. Either that or switch back
> to Sylpheed. I like Evolution but I HATE gtkhtml.
>
> Ryan

Having the exact same problem, unmerged ALL gnome stuff and evo, deleted
all config files I could find, then remerged evo-1.0.8, but still no
Japanese. Moved to sylpheed in the meanwhile, till I can track down the
prob, second the hating of gtkhtml, and also the lackluster support for
non-western fontsets in evo and gnome.

p.s. also lost Japanese support in Gnome2, but not so worried about that
as I mainly use fluxbox.

Stu
--
GnuPG KeyID 1607E7F7
Key fingerprint = 5C38 AA94 A4C1 6AAF 0EE4  C089 EE01 193D 1607 E7F7