[tlug] Has my machine been cracked?

Hi all!
I'm running Red Hat 7.2 and I've lost my GUI!  When I boot the machine I get
the following messages

duplicate/bad blocks found. invoicing duplicate blocks
2 nodes containing duplicate bad blocks

/: File /usr/share/locale/ms/LC_MESSAGES/galeon.mo
(inode #200816, mod time Sun Sept 15 07:52:37 2002)
had 1 duplicate block(s) shared with 1file(s)

/: File /usr/libexec/rep/i386-redhat-linux/libtool
(inode #2007975, mod time Thu Aug 9 04:48:17 2001)
had 1 duplicate block(s) shared with 1file(s)

UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
(i.e., without -a or -p options)

***An error occurred during the file system check.
***Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
***when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):
(Repair filesystem)1#

If I type my root password when requested, the (Repair filesystem) #1
appears.
I don't know what to type after the prompt to repair the filesystem.  If I
type -D it just reboots; bringing me back to the start.  If I type in the
root password it just stays there on the screen for all to see.
Typing yes just causes a y to run all along the left side of the screen.
What can I type at the prompt to repair the filesystem?  Have my machine
been cracked?

Or is it due to this ?

Awhile ago I upgraded some packages using the update command (something I'd
done before with no problems).  Most of the packages were kernel related.
Some messages (which I ignored) appeared on the terminal window, saying that
some packages had been renamed and some packages couldn't be installed.  No
big deal I thought.  I rebooted and had a new kernel;  2.4.18-17.7 to choose
from in the boot loader, along with 2.4.17-10, 2.4.9-34.
I chose the latest version but couldn't start mozilla.  I tried starting
mozilla from the terminal window using  the mozilla -v and got lots of error
messages (too much to type here).  After deleting mozilla I trying to
install the new mozilla packages, I discovered that the RPM database was
corrupted.  I tried to rebuild the database but got a segmentation fault
error and lost the graphic interface.  Now when turn on the computer I get
the messages appearing at the beginning of this message.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED.  I FEEL LIKE REINSTALLING BUT WOULD RATHER MAKE THIS A
LEARNING EXPERIENCE.
GRAEME