Re: [tlug] Any utility for anti-aliasing .gif files?

>> From: Jim Breen <jwb@example.com>
>> Does anyone know of a Linux command-line utility that can do
>> anti-aliasing on existing .gif images? Googling only results in
>> heaps of references to GIMP, but AFAIK that can only be driven
>> interactively. I have several thousand images I want to hit.

I got immediate private email suggesting pnmalias and pnmsmooth. I'll need
a bit of time to try them - they promote the image to gray-scale, so the
file grows rather.

>> From: "Jim O'Connell" <oconnell@example.com>
>>
>> Have you looked at ImageMagick?
>> www.imagemagick.org
>> It has a command line switch for antialias, which should work well.  I haven't used it for that, but I have for other operations, which worked great.

Thanks. I have tried it. For the images I have (B&W animated gifs) it
appears to make no difference with the image, except that it grows about
6-fold in file size.

>> From: Botond Botyanszki <9915104t@example.com>
>> When it comes to command line image processing, nothing beats ImageMagick.
>> Did you try `convert +antialias input.gif output.png` ?

That's what I tried. Thanks.

>> ps: gif is patented technology. consider using png instead.

I'm not sure animated png files with transparent backgrounds are ready for
the big time yet.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298