[tlug] Emacs under kon

Has anyone used emacs under kon to compose Japanese?

I have installed emacs (emacs-nox actually, which is emacs "no X", ie runs emacs
console-only), which allows me, along with the emacs package of international
character sets, to _input_ Japanese.  (I think it uses an elisp skk
dictionary... either that or the canna server, but I think it's doing it
internally.)

Now, I can _technically_ input Japanese, using emacs.  I can even _read_ that
Japanese back to the screen display, but only by first saving the file and using
more, less or cat under kon.  However, I can't figure out how to get the
Japanese characters to display _as_ I type the document (right now they just
show up as question marks)-- _even_ while running emacs under kon.  If this has
to do with a language setting somewhere, I don't see it (or even a .emacs file
as I've heard mentioned).

Any help appreciated.

David Boudreau