[tlug] lpd/magicfilter on jobs submitted from remote?

What determines if lpd runs the filter specified by 'if' on
jobs submitted from remote machines (listed in /etc/hosts.lpd)?

lp|hp815c|HP DeskJet 815C:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp815c:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/dj670c-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

If I 'lpr foo.ps' locally, magicfilter notices it is in
PostScript format and runs it through gs on the way to the
printer. If a remote machine submits a PostScript file, it is
printed verbatim.  (But if I stop the queue, make a copy of the
queued print file, and locally 'lpr copy.ps' that *does* get
filtered... and looking at the file, it appears to be normal PS
with the appropriate %! trigger at the start.)

This is on a Debian Woody system.  My RH system across town
works the way I want, but I can't spot the configuration
difference.  :-(  The printcap man page explains a filtering
exception for remote printers, but not jobs submitted by remote
clients.

Jim