Re: [tlug] Any utility for anti-aliasing .gif files?

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 11:37:46AM +0900, Botond Botyanszki wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 16:02:51 +1100 (EST)
> Jim Breen <jwb@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a Linux command-line utility that can do
> > anti-aliasing on existing .gif images?
> When it comes to command line image processing, nothing beats ImageMagick.

Certainly nothing beats it for quality. I've found the Python Imaging
Library faster for resizing images--though of course PIL is a
programming API rather than a command line app.

> ps: gif is patented technology. consider using png instead.

Not exactly. The patent is on the compression algorithm normally used
with GIFs, so if you create uncompressed GIFs you should be in the
clear. Also, I recently heard someone say that (Compuserve?|Unisys?) has
decided to stop hounding people about GIFs, because they were getting
too much bad press about it.

Nonetheless, I agree that PNGs are preferable, both on principle and
because they seem to preserve the image quality better.

mgushee@example.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)