Re: [tlug] Evolution server?

Quoth Charles Muller (Thu 2002-11-07 02:58:47PM +0900):

> Jonathan wrote:
>
> >Back when Ximian Evolution was released, IIRC they said that future plans
> >included a server-side version that would replace Exchange.  I would love
> >to see such a thing, since that is what I could sell to clients a lot
> >easier than suggesting they all chuck their (mostly pirated) versions of
> >Windows.  If I could show people a reasonably priced and far more secure
> >alternative to Exchange - especially if Outlook clients could connect to it
> >- I think I could really sell some people on it.
>
> Is it not Ximian Connector (http://www.ximian.com/products/connector/) that
> you're talking about?
>
> "A software extension that enables Ximian Evolution to function as a
> Microsoft Exchange 2000 client"

As this bit says, Connector is a snap-in for Ximian Evolution that allows
Evo to offer some more Exchange-like functions. It is not a server, and that
is what JB was after, a server that pretends to be Exchange, not a client
that pretends to be Outlook.

Connecter actually uses the web access stuff in Exchange to fake the Outlook
functionality. That is its weak point.

I have used Evolution with Connector a bit, and I was not impressed. Then
again, I did not use Evolution, nor do I use Exchange in any way. YMMV.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967