Re: [tlug] suicide is painless, but choosing a Linux distribution...

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:49:16AM -0600, Stuart Luppescu wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 06:05, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> > Thinking of migrating from RH (7.1) after a bit.
> > Something that makes multilingual processing easy
> > (even pleasurable?) would be great. Leaning towards
> > Mandrake? Suse?
>
> > some Gentoo Linux users are telling me that one is
> > always compiling from source with Gentoo, and as a
> > result, it takes a long time to install, modify,
> > etc.
> > True? OB (odious bunk)?

They will soon have a release platform that will be binary and install
quickly. As for the time consuming aspect of compiling from source,
others have commented.

As one fairly inept at tweaking settings and such to get Japanese
working, due to the efforts of Ryan and Stuart (Bouyer) on this list, Gentoo is
one of the easiest distros in which to get Japanese working.
emerge kinput2

(That gets canna as well--or, as covered on my page mentioned earlier,
one can emerge it choosing FreeWnn (or choose both).

Stuart has also overseen a lot of other Japanese specific ebuilds for
it.  Japanese prints without problem in OpenOffice.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Faith: When I'm fighting, it's like the whole world goes
away. I only know one thing: that I'm gonna win, and they're gonna
lose. I like that feeling.
Buffy: Well sure, beats that 'dead' feeling you get when they win
and you lose.