Re: [tlug] suicide is painless, but choosing a Linux distribution...

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 06:05, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> Thinking of migrating from RH (7.1) after a bit.
> Something that makes multilingual processing easy
> (even pleasurable?) would be great. Leaning towards
> Mandrake? Suse?

I've tried about 4 Linux distributions and I don't think any of them
made multilingual processing easier than the others.

> or maybe
>
> Gentoo.
> The real Gentoo is the fastest penguin, but...
>
> some Gentoo Linux users are telling me that one is
> always compiling from source with Gentoo, and as a
> result, it takes a long time to install, modify,
> etc.
> True? OB (odious bunk)?

I'm running Gentoo now, and I am continually compiling from source, but
this is A Good Thing. And it's not particularly time consuming if you
have a fat network pipe and a fast processor. Not only that, but the
user side to upgrading a package is extremely simple. For example,

emerge evolution

will download the latest evolution sources AND any other packages it
depends on, and compile and install everything for you.

In addition, it affords you lots of control over how your packages are
built, and opportunities for optimization which increases the speed of
executables.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu@example.com
University of Chicago -=- CCSR