[tlug] X needed? and, Project JE site is down

It appears that the "Project JE" site is down, and has been for at least a few
days now.
( http://www.pje.linux.or.jp/ ).

I have been using TurboLinux for a while now, and recently
would like to have Japanese on it (it's the US version).  However,
I do _not_ run X (and see no need to, since... well, it's linux).  There
is less than 100 mb of space left on the machine.

Reading the various documents on the web, it seems I need the tools
kinput2 and canna.  I just installed canna from the TurboLinux companion CD,
but I didn't see kinput2 on there.  and canna has no man page?!
Reading various documents seem to mention
kterms and KDE window manager a lot.  Hopefully I don't need to install X?
I just want to be able to read/display Japanese text, and to input Japanese
would be nice, too.  What do most TLUG users run or encounter in terms
of setups of linux?  Is X absolutely necessary to have Japanese?  I'd rather
not have to install again with a native Japanese version and just keep what
I have.

btw I have tried searching the TLUG list archives, but many search terms return
nothing, even though I see the strings in messages when listed by thread/date,
e.g. turbolinux, redhat, pje, Project JE, and others as well.  (btw, in my
frustration in
realizing this, curiously, searching for at least one expletive does return a
fairly
large number of documents.)

btw it would be nice for new list members to explicitly tell them the email
address
to _post_ messages to the TLUG list-- plenty of info on how to join it.  (I even
 checked
the archives... not even listed in the headers, but I guess that makes sense to
avoid spam....)

Thanks,

David Boudreau
dboudrea@example.com