Re: [tlug] [ot] SunOS/bash umask set to 000

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Josh Glover wrote:

> Quoth Nguyen Vu Hung (Mon 2002-11-04 06:15:56PM +0900):
> >
> > I dont know why my umask is set to 000 by default.
> > .bashrc is there but it was not excuted(?!);(
>
> You are sure that Bash is your default shell, I assume?

Yes,

bash$ ypcat passwd |grep vuhung
vuhung:xwamJuaxxxx.:1736:60:Nguyen Hung
Vu:/home/student/cs/vuhung:/usr/local/bin/bash

> Have you tried symlinking .bashrc to .bash_profile? The .bashrc file is
> supposed to be sourced by all Bash shells, interactive or not, while
> .bash_profile is only for interactive shells, but I have seen .bashrc being
> ignored on systems before. Try:
>
> ln -s .bashrc .bash_profile

thanks Josh,

this solved the problem but I wonder why my default umask is 000? There
are 4 people using bash here

bash$ ypcat passwd | grep bash | wc -l
       4
bash$

2 of them are locked, 1 of them never logged in,forth person is me ;)
After I used ypchsh to change my default shell to /bin/sh, umask is still
0000 ;)

bash$ cat /etc/shells
/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/usr/local/bin/tcsh
/usr/local/bin/bash
bash$ ypchsh
Changing NIS login shell for vuhung on falcon.fedu.uec.ac.jp.
Old shell: /usr/local/bin/bash
New shell: /bin/sh
Password:
NIS entry changed on fedu.uec.ac.jp