Re: [tlug] longest uptime boxes

Quoth Nguyen Vu Hung (Mon 2002-10-28 01:20:38PM +0900):

> All of them are *bsd*. I dont know much about BSD but this survey showed
> that *bsd* is more stable than linux.

Stability (which is a very subjective term, anyway) aside, the BSDs tend to
be a lot more conservative than Linux. Especially FreeBSD. What I mean by
this is, new features do not get implemented in FreeBSD because "that would
be cool", and done by one guy over a long week-end. They are, in general,
more carefully planned and not even moved to the stable branch until they
are pretty well tested. Unlike Linux, where the "stable" kernel tree
occasionally has things like filesystem corruption.

The other reason for this is that, in Linux, each distro makes the final
decision on what the Linux system is. In the BSD world, the system is
distributed by the same project that does the kernel.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967