Re: [tlug] Mandrake vs. Red Hat

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:07:02 +0900 (JST), Charles Muller wrote:

>>I've been back and forth between Mandrake and Red Hat a couple of times
>>myself, but not since the release of these two newest versions. Was there
>>anything in particular that made you choose Mandrake.
>>
>>My eventual settling on Red Hat the last time had to do with the fact that
>>something in the Mandrake handling of XML conflicted with the nsgml function
>>of Emacs, so I could never validate XML files. There was also a problem with
>>Unicode handling. When I installed Emacs in Red Hat, these problems
>>disappeared, and since then I haven't had any reason to go back. But I have
>>noticed that Mandrake seems to get new RPM packages ready sooner.

Hi Charles,

RedHat 7.3 was the first distro of Linux I could actually use. Not being a
geek or a nerd I could never really install any previous releases and
get them configured. I did also toy with Mandrake 8.2 but fell back to RH
as being the better of the two. With the latest releases I feel that RH8 is
too windows like. especially with the default look and feel. I've gotten
used to the single click, etc. I did reset everything to give me a regular
KDE look with Keramik and the very nice Crystal icons but there was the
hassle of getting MMedia support back and I had trouble installing some
RPMs with their "updated KDE". So, on went Mandrake again. Installing
KDE3.0.4 last night, even with a couple of brews in me was a no brainer.
The menu structure in RH8 was a nightmare and I feel MDK9 is more
logically laid out. It's not perfect but will be easier to customise than RH.
The other thing I like about MDK is their "Supermount" I don't need to
mount/unmount CDs, etc.

I did like the nifty icon on Kicker in RH9 that told you if there were updates
but it's no biggie to run MDK's update proggie every few days.

Running Linux as a secondary OS the last few months has been a
learning experience but I'm not ready to tackle a Gentoo install yet :-)

That really about does it :-)

Cheers

Wayne

--