Re: [tlug] Japan Times Article on Linux

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:32:41 +0900 (JST), Charles Muller wrote:

>>A. Sajjad Zaidi wrote:
>>
>>> Not a bad article overall, but he says a lot of things that aren't
>>> entirely fair. He writes about how hard it is to install an alternative
>>> OS and setup things like email, even for advanced users.
>>
>>This is true. There is a degree of exaggeration on some details, as you might see from a
>>newbie who has never used anything before except for Windows. For example
>>"ten hours to download on DSL." I don't know what kind of connection he has,
>>but on my DSL I got all five RH 8.0 images in three hours. Also in the
>>course of installation "something always goes wrong." But he does end on a
>>positive note, and I think that his advice for uninitiated users with
>>moderate computing abilities to have access to someone with experience is
>>appropriate. I'd rather see people who try to install Linux be prepared for
>>a few difficulties than to see them think they can fly through without
>>problems, and end up being disillusioned.
>>
>>What I liked best about the piece was his inclusion of reasons for choosing
>>Linux of the "moral reason offered by a growing handful of Windows
>>dissenters, who have turned to another operating system in virtual protest
>>of Bill Gate's iron grip on today's PC."
>>
>>I'm one of these.

<ramble>
As a relative newcomer to Linux I did find the article a little negative
regarding ease of install. One thing I couldn't understand is why the
author needed to create a boot disk. His machine must be more up
to date than my Celeron 400 but I didn't need to create an install
disk. Unless he has a real wierd configuration. I started with RH 7.3
and the last week or so I've been installing and deinstalling RH8
and MDK9. I've finally settled on MDK9. In the short time I've been
using MDK I've learnt a lot about it. I even updated to KDE 3.0.4
last night with no ill effects and my system feels "snappier" for it!

Perhaps my advantage over the author is I've never used windows.
I have a copy installed for the kids but only boot it myself to install
software for the kids or get updates from M$. I'm quite used to
partitioning disks and installing boot loaders, etc. My desktop is a
triple boot system with MDK on its own 8Gb disk.  Setting up mail
and news was no different from setting up any other program I've
used, with the exception of Outlook! Now, that's a pain. I've lost
countless hairs trying to help my sister-in-law with it. Nothing is
where you'd expect it. What a mess!
</ramble>

Well, introductions are over, back to my mug of coffee!

Cheers

Wayne

--

Wayne Bickell