[tlug] Japanese Language Settings??????

???I'm running Red Hat 7.2
I'm trying to setup my box to Japanese running on KDE
Basically I want to type documents, type and recieve email and do internet
searches in Japanese, while using and English
environment.

I've put the following in my ~/.bashrc file
export LANG =ja -JP;
export XMODIFIERS ="@example.com=kinput2";
export LC_MESSAGES=en_us;
exec =kinput2-canna&

THE FILE NOW LOOKS LIKE THIS
# .bashrc
export LANG=ja_JP;
export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2";
export LC_MESSAGES=en_US;
exec kinput2 -canna &
# User specific aliases and functions

# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
	. /etc/bashrc
fi

This has allowed me to do Japanese input but I often get mojibake?????? when
using kde office packages.

I can do web searches in Japanese using Mozilla (with no mojibake) but I have
lost the ability to read Japanese email (using the KDE mail client).

All messages (headers and contents) appear as ????????
This never happened before I changed the bashrc file.

I've read that it's not possible to use Japanese with the kmail client so I
tried to use the mozilla mail client and had the same mojibake problem.

CHEERS
GRAEME