Re: [tlug] acroread/ggv and japanese pdfs

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 18:20, Matt Gushee wrote:

> > > is it possible to view japanese pdfs on
> > > linux? i have ggv and acroread + japanese
> > > lang kit installed, and neither of them
> > > can display japanese pdfs, due to a failure
> > > to substitute fonts.
>
> Have you tried several PDF files from different sources, or is this
> observation based on one experience? It may very well depend on what
> fonts the creators of the document used. If they stick with standard
> Mincho & Gothic, and maybe a little Marumoji here and there, you should
> be okay. But if they used, say, not-truly-standard fonts that Japanese
> Windows users usually have--and didn't embed them in the document--that
> could account for your troubles.

Yes, this turned out to be the case. I was testing by searching
for "ÆüËܸì" on Google and limiting my file types returned to
PDF. I downloaded 5 of my results at random, and none of them
worked: all used some funky font. But then Ulrich sent me a PDF
that was working for him and it worked fine for me.

So I guess it is working. But I still don't understand why
acroread isn't smart enough to substitute fonts I do have for
ones I don't.

Ryan