Re: [tlug] Google; Twilight Tar

>> From: Tony Laszlo <laszlo@example.com>
>> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Jim Breen wrote:
>> > I use Google with Japanese keys several times a day, and rarely ever get
>> > Chinese pages returned. I use a Javascript applet for this, and it
>> > has the "hl=ja" parameter set, which seems to lock it into looking
>> > at/for Japanese-only pages.
>> Is there a reason you are using this applet, rather than the
>> by-language filter in the "search options" function that Google
>> provides by default?

I have my default (cookie) option set to "all languages", so that applet
provided a convenient on-off override. Google autodetects the coding of
the key, and it can sometimes decide a short string of Japanese is in
fact Chinese, with messy results.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298