[tlug] tar is misbehaving

I can't figure out why this is not working. I want to find all files
with a certain file name extension and put them in a tar file. Here's
the command I used:

find . -name \*.sas |xargs tar czfv ltest.tar.gz > ltest.log

It seems to run fine. However, very few of the files actually end up in
the tar file:

tar tzfv ltest.tar.gz |wc -l
     88
wc -l ltest.log
   1171 ltest.log

Is there a logical explanation for this, or am I living in the twilight
zone?
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu@example.com
University of Chicago -=- CCSR