Re: [tlug] Re: finding inet socket for jserver (newbie question)

If you did the standard RedHat install and checked off Japanese, you
should have everything you need -
I've got the following lines in my ~/.bashrc to set up the input and
everything the way that's most useful to me:

  	export LANG=ja_JP;
  	export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2";
  	export LC_MESSAGES=en_US ;
  	exec kinput2 -canna &
(You could put those in any shell script, of course.  To invoke JP
input, type shift+Space, or 'Uppercase Space' as I like to call it...)

The first couple of lines are self-explanatory.  The third tells the
apps to still use English for the menus and dialogs and such and the
last gets kinput2 going.
I typically install KDE in addition to Gnome, so if the 'k' in kinput2
stands for KDE rather than Kanji, you might have to install some extra
libs.  I just checked - it stands for Kanji, not KDE, though it is an
X-only app, which means you'll get an error if you log in over ssh
without telling it to forward X. (Do 'ssh -X your.remote.host' and it
should work.)

If you prefer Japanese in as the main language in the interface, of
course comment out the third line.  I like it since it tells sylpheed
to enable Japanese where needed - Your emails and such should still
display without mojibake either way.
Also, there are some other kinput2 options you may want to look at in
the man page.
Hope this is of use to you -
Cheers,
Jim

(Yes, it's me - I've decided to come back on the list. Hope that's OK
with everyone.)

http://www.mmdc.net

Key fingerprint = 8EE8 44E0 320A 4718 C76B  AD5F 91EB B996 EB45 F83B
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB45F83B