Re: [tlug] Printing Japanese

Ryan Shaw wrote:

> I have a similar situation here. Do you get little boxes
> where the Japanese characters should be? I do, and that
> suggests to me that the printer is unable to find the fonts
> it needs.

That's what I figured in the Mozilla case, because that's where I get
little boxes, too. In KMail, on the other hand, I get the !X%G%8%?%k
?.9f$rAw$k variant of mojibake, double-byte code savagely chopped into
single byte pieces and fed to a run-of-the-mill font. While these two do
some printing, it's worse with the Acrobat reader. That one comes with
Asian font packs of its own, but printing never gets to use them, it
simply aborts the entire job.

Why does CUPS not use the same fonts for printing that the applications
use for screen display? I'll try adding a few fonts to the system (and
also to the CUPS directory, thanks for pointing that out. But why am I
doing this? And what kind of font do I put in there? Truetype, simple as
that?

Ulrich Plate

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key CF7D6206
Fingerprint CDD6 3225 3489 1305 D4D6 1CCF 50E8 6505 CF7D 6206