[tlug] Printing Japanese

G'day y'all,

Three-day-weekends are terrible. They provide you with enough free time to mess with stuff you always wanted to try but never could afford to spend so many hours on. Eventually everything turns out to work just fine, until you wake up the next day, and just before breakfast decide to quickly do that last test you didn't do yesterday - crash, boing, blam-blam, shklack.

In my case, that was the sound of acroread printing Japanese via /usr/bin/lpr this morning. But it's not only PDF files I'm having problems with, none of my applications seem to be able to print Japanese, not KMail, not Sylpheed, not Mozilla (none of which have any trouble displaying Japanese, needless to say). I have an HP DeskJet 720C, comfortably covered by the pnm2ppa driver/executable, I've used foomatic to generate every PPD et al. config file imaginable, and last but not least I do have a CUPS installation in mint condition that does beautiful test printouts and a perfect job on anything other than Japanese - German and French, for example are being tolerated quite effortlessly.

Having had some unvoluntarily funny experiences googling for "cups" and "japanese" (you should try it, great recipes for tea ceremony sweets!), "cups 日本語 印刷" yields slightly more focussed results, but no solutions whatsoever, just people talking about problems or translated HOWTOs that don't actually tell you howto because it wasn't covered in the English original... Which is why the moment has come to approach you gentle lot out there and tap into the inscrutinable depths of your knowledge: *polite little cough* Excuse me, how do I get CUPS to print Japanese, please?

Ta muchos
Ulrich Plate
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key CF7D6206
Fingerprint CDD6 3225 3489 1305 D4D6 1CCF 50E8 6505 CF7D 6206