[tlug] MRTG question

I feel dumb for asking but ... I've got a small bytes to bits problem with
MRTG.

I've stoped using SNMP to give out data transfer numbers to MRTG and instead
am using a little perl script someone wrote to fetch the data directly from
/proc/net/dev as suggested by Tobias.

Everything works but the numbers MRTG puts out seem to be confused as to
wether they are bits or bytes.

I have a 100Mbps line and right now MRTG is giving out these numbers as
outgoing bandwidth usage:

Max  Out: 6844.3 kB/s (6.8%) Average  Out: 4802.8 kB/s (4.8%) Current  Out:
6844.3 kB/s (6.8%)

6844.3 kB/s is about 6.8 MB/s ...my line is 100 Mbps (or 12.5 MBps) ...
there's no way that I am using >50% of the bandwidth ... (Though the
*percentages* given out are about right, but not the raw numbers).

Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? Is my arithmetic wrong
or my MRTG config file? Or the script that provides the numbers?

I think my MRTG config file must be off ...

If anyone can help out, here's what my config file looks like:

MaxBytes[eth0]: 12500000
AbsMax[eth0]: 12500000
Options[eth0]: bits, growright, transparent,dorelpercent
Target[eth0]: `/usr/local/mrtg-2/mrtg-eth.pl -d eth0`
YLegend[eth0]: Bytes/s
ShortLegend[eth0]: B/s
Legend1[eth0]: Incoming Traffic
Legend2[eth0]: Outgoing Traffic