Re: [tlug] OpenOffice.org & Japanese Windows

Thanks for the replies from Tony and Baba-san.

I did not know there were newsgroups for OppenOffice.org, and my
standard google search had given unsatisfactory responses.

Now I can reccomend the 'ja' version to my colleagues.

> > I know very little about using Japanese text input on a PC, but I did
>
> You need Japanese input method.  It comes with Japanese Windows, of
> course.  Otherwise, you need to download from MS site or get a thrid
> party alternative.  I heave tried old version of Global IME from MS,
> which only worked with MS apps.  Not sure if it can be used with OOo.
> Third party IMs such as NJWin and Unionway may work.

I knew third-party apps were the only way with Win98 & Win95, and I
did get Japanese input under the English version of OOo on
Windows2000.  However, I had to manually switch fonts to a Japanese
font each time to type in Japanese.  In MS-Word, it allows you to
press the Japanese Character button and then just go on typing.  Am I
missing something in that I have to manually select the font?

> btw, OOo for MacOSX is under development and seems have no
> Japanese support yet.

Several of the Japanese colleagues use OS X, which i have to admit is
a very nice system.

I assume you mean "no support of input" and not just language for
menus and such (which are not an issue as they have excellent English,
but would clearly need to be able to input Japanese).  Shame though as
that may hinder OOo becaming the default amongst our group.

Thanks for the help!
I will have on of the Windows users download the japanese version and
report back.

Yours,
Tim