Re: [tlug] i-mode i18n

>> From: Ulrich Plate <plate@example.com>
>>
>> Spinning this a little further just to make sure I understand the
>> problem more or less correctly: Unicode cannot be blamed for cultural
>> imperialism because it just sets the *coding* for identical symbols,

Correct.

>> but
>> those so-called Unicode *fonts* are indeed a bad idea because they don't
>> allow for different rendering of unified han?

They are a bad idea if you try and have a single font for all
environments. One of the troubles was that when the first Unicode
publications came out, they used Chinese-looking fonts for a lot of
characters. That got the xenophobes in Japan right offside.

>> Or is it still possible to
>> match Chinese and Japanese rendering styles in a Unicoded document
>> within a single font, provided the text declares the language tag
>> correctly?

Well, not with a single font.

>>And how would you do this without a markup language like XML
>> or HTML?

I think it should be a markup issue.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298