Re: [tlug] PPPoE / Linksys BEFSR41

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:22:07PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On 9/24/2002, "n" <yeehi@example.com> wrote:
>
> We usually use our names around here.  "n" doesn't cut it.

This from a guy who often signs himself J.  :)

> >http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20
>
> >Is this router PPPoE compliant?
>
> Quoted from the page you linked:
>
> "This unit requires an external Cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet RJ-45
> interface."
>
> In other words, no, it doesn't speak pppoe.  That page is also so filled
> with marketing hype it made me want to vomit.   Here's my favorite quote:
>
> "This cutting-edge combination of router and switch technology eliminates
> the need to buy an additional hub or switch and serves your network as a
> completely dedicated, full duplex backbone."

Wow I want one. :)  Actually, to folks who work for ISPs, or even we
lamers who studied for Cisco certs, the word backbone has a totally
different meaning--to us it's a bit silly, but to the home user, it's
probably an accurate statement.  :)  (which could lead me into a whole
new thread about what is a backbone for a home network, but anyway....)

Anyway, as to the pppOe question--as has been said, there's a bit of
research that you should do, but while I'm not sure "compliant" is the
proper term, in the recent Linksys routers there is a checkbox in the
config section which will enable it to work with modems from ISPs like
Verizon here in the states who use pppOe.

> They should have a warning message on a page that contains such crap.  A
> DSL connection may be full duplex, but it's certainly neither dedicated nor
> a backbone.

Now Jonathan, how do you know? Have you ever asked those routers? Sure,
maybe they goof off a little, but I think they're----ohhhh, sorry,
misunderstood.

Anyway, to be serious for a moment, yes, the router will work with an
ISP that uses pppOe.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Generally speaking, when scary things get scared, not
good.