Re: [tlug] PPPoE / Linksys BEFSR41

> Howdy
>
> There is new firmware out for the router mentioned above:
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20

Hmm great - thanks for the link.

> My questions:
>
> Is this router PPPoE compliant?

What does the makers site say about it, what was written on the pack ?

> What is PPPoE?

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PPPoE.html  ( took me 2mins to find this
link )

> I need a PPPoE router if I am going to connect my machines to the NTT b
Flets
> service. (The 100 Mbps New Family service is about 5000 a month plus you
need
> to pay isp charges too.) Will this router do the job?

Probably but you will never get 100Mbps throughput. It is highly unlikely
that your machine could comfortably read and write at that speed but you
might get 20Mbps

> Will Redhat 7.3 sort out the difficult stuff automatically using DHCP?

What is difficult ? if your router does NAT or DHCP relay then yes.

Arrggh http://www.tldp.org/   www.isc.org  http://www.dhcp.org/

> WIth this b flets fibre optic connection what is the important thing in
> getting as close to 100 Mbps as possible?

Not getting your hopes up too high.

It is highly unlikely that you will ever get near the 100Mbps advertised max
throughput as your speed will exceed what most hosts on the net will give
you in a single connection. Try to keep in mind that most routers of the
kind that ordinary home users would consider purchasing might have a max
throughput of 50 - 60 Mbps, if you have a LAN at home you might have found
that even though a nice new switching hub you could not get the full 100Mbps
sustained so from an internet host on the otherside of the world your
chances are buckleys and none.  The kind of capacity required to service
users at 100Mbps is not economically feasible on the kind of revenue ISP's
make from the B-Flets services. Your line is likely aggregrated into a
single Gig connection to your carriers backbone from the NTT cloud and
thence to a peering point so 100Mbps, almost never in your wildest dreams

>Is there any way I can test it?
Try a broadband testing site ( dslreports.com ?? springs to mind )