Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 09:37:05AM +1000, Sam Tilders wrote:

> > (a) where do I kick off kinput2 at boot time? I put it in
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but it doesn't work there. I suspect it is because
> > canna hasn't properly initialized yet.
>
> Do you use X with a window manager? kinput2 can be started in your window
> managers auto start. eg: I linked $HOME/.kde/AutoStart/kinput2 to the binary
> and it starts when I log in.

Sorry to get pedantic, but you've touched on one of my pet peeves.
*Everyone* uses a window manager--X is all but useless without one. KDE,
together with GNOME and XFCE, is a *desktop environment*. And the above
is probably a KDE-specific solution. GNOME probably has something
similar to KDE's AutoStart, but people who use "raw" window managers
(i.e. without desktop environments) likely have no such feature. At
least I can't recall any of the window managers I've tried (and I've
tried most of them) having an "auto-start" mechanism. That's probably
because XFree86 already has one. It's called .Xclients .

That's today's rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled
program.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA