Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

G'day again,

Well, the bullet was bitten, and I'm now sitting using an IBM
Thinkpad T23. These are discntinued and being run out, so the price is
down, not the fastest processor (only 1.1G), but 256K and 30G.

I bit another bullet and nuked the entire W2K installation, perhaps a
little foolishly as IBM didn't provide a significant manual on paper.

RH7.3 (bought for Y500 at July's TLUG meeting) installed almost without
intervention. The only time we got serious was when the automatic
partitioner wanted to give me a 7Gb /home and a 20Gb /usr. Needless to
say I had other plans.

Fortunately TLUG's email archive is OK as far as March 2002, so I was
able to look up some questions I asked in the past and find the answers.

TWO question now:

(a) where do I kick off kinput2 at boot time? I put it in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local, but it doesn't work there. I suspect it is because
canna hasn't properly initialized yet.

(b) I'm having trouble setting my hostname. It was suggested in March
that I use "HOSTNAME=...." in /etc/sysconfig/network, but this time that
broke a few things and stopped X from launching.

Any suggestions on these?

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298