Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

Quoth A. Sajjad Zaidi (Thu 2002-09-12 12:43:54PM +0900):

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 07:30:12PM +0200, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:48:21 +0900, Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> squashed
> > this out of the keyboard:
> >
> > > OK, let me qualify that a bit.  All current notebook pointing
> > > devices suck.
>
> The new logitech optical mice for notebooks look pretty cool, but too
> small for me. Im satisfied with the eraser pointer thingy on my Thinkpad,
> although switch to an external optical mouse at home.
>
> > > The things that suck the most are trackpads.
>
> I hate em.

I actually think that trackpads suck the least and trackballs suck the
most! :) I used to hate trackpads, but when I got my Dell, it came
with a pad and an eraser (actually, we call them something else
entirely...), and I liked the pad better. In fact, I am now quite
proficient with the thing. I can even Gimp with it. I like the
ability to click with out moving my finger off of the pad.

> > <quote>
> > In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable.
> > Then how come people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
> >         -- Hasse Skrifvars, hasku@example.com,
> > </quote>
>
> Maybe because these drugs are addictive? Microsoft software has no such
> properties.

Sure it does. I had trouble getting off that shit years ago when I was
trying to switch to Linux. I had my machine set up to dual boot, with
the understanding that I would boot into Windows *only* when I needed
to do something that I had not yet figured out how to do in
X. Needless to say (so why am I saying it?), my machine stayed in
Windows most of the time.

I would argue that ease-of-use is addictive to people. Once you learn
one way of doing things, you are likely to hang onto that because you
are too lazy to learn a new way when the old one works.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967